Take Care of Your Eyes
I learned the hard way what not paying attention to my vision could do. A disease called “glaucoma” of which I’d barely heard of, snuck up on me, robbed me of most of my vision, and led me down a path of depression that took years to shake off.
There are resources here for glaucoma, and also for discount eyeglasses. Why pay exorbitant prices to LensCrafter when you can get great specs for under $30?
- How To Get an Unbelievable, Amazing, Fantastic, Thrilling Deal on New Glasses, Slate Magazine
- Do-It-Yourself Eyeglass Shopping on the Internet, NY Times (may require subscription)
- Reader’s Picks for 5 Best Online Glasses, Lifehacker website
Places to Get Eyeglasses
- Zenni Optical – this is where I get my eyeglasses. And I’ve been very happy with them.
- GlassyEyes.com – actually, more of a blog with reviews, etc.
Glaucoma is a disease the disease that almost made me blind. Sometimes called “The Stealer of Light”, it causes blindness quietly and over time. If you have glaucoma, your highest priority should be finding a good doctor.
- Yahoo’s Glaucoma group – This is a great group for getting information from other people that have learned to deal with glaucoma. There is also a highly respected doctor who contributes to this group.
Online Visual Field Tests
These are the supplements suggested on the Yahoo Glaucoma Group:
- 120 mg Gingkgo Biloba
- 1200 mg curcumin
- 100 mg resveratrol
- 1-2 g fish oil (which gives a lot of people heartburn, so can take with food)
Medication & Supplements
- ConsumerLab.com – is a great site for information on supplements. They test for purity and stated amount of active ingredient. However, they don’t report on country of origin. At least you can find out if the supplement has any contaminants in it.
- AllDayChemist.com – A recommended site for buying discounted prescription medications. This site was recommended by a person on the Yahoo glaucoma forum.